The Center for Millennial Studies (CMS), a not-for-profit research Center based
at Boston University with branches around the globe, is the world's largest
academic research center dedicated to millennial studies. Comprised of academics,
independent researchers, graduate students and others, CMS provides an important
link among wide-ranging disciplines and the growing popular interest in millennial
and apocalyptic activities.
- Gather and archive the vast "harvest" of millennial literature that is
appearing at the turn of the second Christian millennium.
- Study and analyze millennial beliefs, the movements they generate, and
the kinds of transformations that they must undergo in order to adjust to
the (inevitable) return to normal time, the bifurcation of the disappointed
between violent and peaceful mutations.
- Collect, edit and analyze documents from earlier such times.
- Make research materials available for future generations so that they have
the best possible record of this period of millennial and apocalyptic activity,
making it much more difficult to rewrite history and mute the voices which
were unusually powerful before the passage of time proved them false.
- Provide analyses to media, researchers, academics, policy makers and anyone
else interested in impartial, accurate and timely information about apocalyptic
and millenarian manifestations.
- Raise public awareness of the patterns of millennial behavior, to provide
historical perspectives, and to offer prognoses about current millenarian